Thursday, September 10, 2009

Just Launched!

Recently someone dear to my heart has begun to really need health insurance. She needs some diagnostic tests and she just hit that awkward: gap post-college and where the economic slump took her job, income, and health benefits. I was in a parking lot when I found out, and I was shocked and hollow the entire drive home. 


Not a few weeks ago I severely damaged my hand. Okay, it's not that bad, but the cut was to the bone on my middle knuckle. I was on a the military base at the time and rushed to their clinic. Corpsman Connolly saved the day, cleaning out asphalt bits and dressing my hand. He did so while being badgered by his commanding officer on whether or not I had been vetted for coverage. I was covered under my dad, but only because I had my military ID. 


Two weeks later, while at Camp Pendleton my wallet got lost (stolen) and I no longer have my ID. I am no longer able to get health benefits from my dad's serviceman coverage, it was going to happen, but it happened sooner than I had expected.  I just found out about being uninsured just three hours ago. It's pretty nerve-racking. 


Some 50 million Americans are in the situation where they are not covered. What this means is that they have to pay full price health bills*, they don't have the backing of an organization or a corporation to negotiate payments. We are at the whim of chance and luck, and if that luck goes bad, we face a decision to eat or be healthy, to have a home or have a loved one live five more years. How can you work if you're sick? If the rest of the developed world has universal health coverage, why not America?


I consider the economics, the psychology, the infrastructure, and the history of health care in America and I just cannot understand why we can't make this happen. I am optimistic, but cynical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment